We welcome inquiries from the media. Please contact our press office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 413-637-3556.
2014 Blantyre Facts
- Located in Lenox Massachusetts. Lenox was settled in 1750, the population is 5,025 and covers an area of some 21.7 square miles.
- 110-acre property located in the heart of the Berkshires in Lenox, MA.
- Built by Robert Warden Paterson in 1902.
- Designed by Robert H. Robertson
- Given to Ann Fitzpatrick Brown in 1980 by her parents, John and Jane Fitzpatrick, founders of the family business, Country Curtains.
- Previous Owners: Robert Warden Paterson, Howard Cole, Woodson R. Oglesby (twice), D.W. Griffith, Henry de Sola Mendes, Robert P. Weiss and Lee Gunst, and John Donohue.
- Blantyre is Gaelic for “the warm retreat.”
- 22 Guest accommodations: 8 rooms, 10 suites and 4 cottages.
- Staff of 65.
- Relais & Châteaux since 1984.
- Over 4,000 picture books and mysteries in guest rooms and halls.
- “The World of Blantyre” published in December 2008 featuring a full history of the property, 55 recipes and over 150 photographs.
- Surrounded by Cranwell’s 18-hole golf course designed by John Van Kleek in 1926.
- Summer Activities: Lounging, Tennis, Swimming, Croquet, Hiking, Hammock.
- Winter Activities: Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, Ice Skating, Snow BBQ’s.
- Full Service Spa: Sauna, Steam Room, Indoor Hot Tub, Fitness Area and treatments galore.
- Wine list with 2,600 references and approximately 12,000 bottles, depending on the season.
- Piano playing nightly.
- Accolades in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014: Forbes 5-Star Award, Condé Nast Traveler Gold List, Wine Spectator “Grand Award,” Andrew Harper Hideaway, “Top 20 U.S. Hideaways,” Condé Nast Johansens “Most Excellent Country House Hotel,” Gayot.com “10 Most Romantic Spas in the World,” Forbes.com “10 Most Romantic Hotels in the World,” Travel & Leisure “World’s Best Hotel Values,” Zagat: Food 27 – Décor 29.
- 1 mile from Edith Wharton’s home The Mount, 4 miles from Tanglewood, 2 miles from Shakespeare & Company, 6 miles from Berkshire Theater Festival, 6 miles from Norman Rockwell Museum, 9 miles from Barrington Stage Company, 30 miles from The Clark & MassMoca and antiquing for miles around.
- 3 hours from New York and 2 hours from Boston.