In the beautiful Berkshires, there are many wonderful places to go and things to do. We have briefly described some of our favorites below.
Throughout Berkshire County, antique shops abound. The highest concentration is along Route 7 from Great Barrington south through Sheffield to Connecticut (about a 25-minute drive from Blantyre). Dealers offer a wide variety of antiques including furniture, silver, jewelry, art, pottery, and textiles, as well as appraisals and auctions for the novice or serious shopper. For further assistance visit http://www.bcaada.com
Allure Outfitters is run by Rex Channel, an experienced fisherman, would be happy to instruct you in fly fishing. Advanced reservations are required. Or you can take advantage of our membership in the Berkshire Fishing Club and fish on a private, well-stocked lake in Becket, MA. They provide all the equipment. Individual or group reservations available. Please contact the Front Desk Staff at Blantyre.
- Berkshire Botanical Garden is a small but lovely botanical garden at the junction of Route 183 and Route 102, Stockbridge, MA.
- Ashintully Garden in Tyringham, MA, is located on Tyringham Road about 7 miles south of the junction of Route 102. It is maintained by the Trustees of Reservations.
- Cranwell is a public 18-hole course as well as a Golf School adjacent to Blantyre. Please contact the Front Desk Staff at Blantyre.
- Stockbridge Country Club is a private club in Stockbridge with limited booking availability. Please contact the Front Desk Staff to book advance reservations.
- Taconic Golf Club is located in Williamstown. Reservations cannot be made until 3 days prior, in order to give their members time on the course. Please call us and we will make a note on our calendar to assist.
Many of these walks or hikes can be done on your own. Should you wish us to assist with a guide, please call in advance. October Mountains just down the road and is the largest state forest in MA with 16,500 acres. Includes a portion of the Appalacian Trail.
- Bartholomew’s Cobble and Tyringham Cobble offer good South County walking or hiking trails. Call Blantyre for details.
- Mount Greylock is the highest point in Western Massachusetts and can be accessed by driving to the top (45 minutes from Blantyre) or stop at the Visitors Center and hike the mountain!
- Monument Mountain is located about 20 minutes south of Blantyre. The access for this trail is on Route 7 north of Great Barrington.
- Bash Bish Falls is a good hike to a waterfall in southern Berkshire County. It is great after a summer rain or to enjoy the fall foliage.
- Pleasant Valley Bird Sanctuary is part of the Massachusetts Audubon Society and located about 4 miles from Blantyre. It offers wonderful walks, hikes, nature lectures and tours.
- Edith Wharton’s home, The Mount is a few minutes down the road.
- Arrowhead is the home of Herman Melville. The novel Moby Dick was written here while Herman Melville looked toward Mt. Greylock. Located in Pittsfield, MA about a 20-minute drive from Blantyre, this small museum is charming.
- Mission House is part of the Trustees of Reservations properties located in Stockbridge, MA.
- Naumkeag was the home of Ambassador Choate, Ambassador to Great Britain in the late 1800s. His daughter developed the gardens, designed by Fletcher Steel, and upon her death, donated the entire property to the Trustees of Reservations who have maintained the house as it was in the late 1800s.
- Aspinwall Equestrian Center offers Western trail riding. Some of our guests take English riding lessons at Undermountain Farm.
Hot Air Ballooning
- Ballooning in the Berkshires with Paul Sena, Worthington, MA can be arranged for individuals or small groups. Cost is $250.00 per person.
- Norman Rockwell Museum is a 20-minute drive from Blantyre. It houses the world’s largest collection of original art by America’s favorite illustrator. His studio and a gift shop are open daily (except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day).
- Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute is a gem of a museum located in Williamstown, MA, featuring an outstanding collection of Impressionist paintings, silver and sculpture.
- Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, or MassMoCA, is located about an hour north of Blantyre in North Adams, MA. Set in renovated industrial buildings of the former Sprague Electric complex, this vast setting provides an extraordinary space for contemporary art and sculpture.
- Hancock Shaker Village is a 20 minute drive from Blantyre. It is the best Shaker museum in the country, with 12 restored buildings and a gift shop. It is open daily all year round.
- Chesterwood was the home of Daniel Chester French, sculptor of the Lincoln Memorial. It is a wonderful museum with beautiful gardens. Open from May until mid-October.
- Museum of the Gilded Age at Ventfort Hall has daily tours, many events throughout the years, and special exhibits. Please visit them at 104 Walker Street, Lenox, MA and on the web at gildedage.org.
- Williams College Museum of Art, part of Williams College, is in Williamstown, MA.
- Frelinghuysen Morris House and Studio sits on a 46-acre estate next to Tanglewood. It was the home of American abstract artists George L.K. Morris and Suzy Frelinghuysen, and now showcases many of their works. Open July 4 – Columbus Day.
- Crane Museum of Papermaking traces the history of papermaking in the United States.
- Berkshire Museum is a fine local museum.
- Tanglewood is the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and features concerts in July and August.
- Berkshire On Stage is a comprehensive website listing many stage productions – theatre, music, film, etc.
- Antique shopping is available throughout the Berkshires, with Route 7 from Great Barrington to Sheffield boasting the most shops in a short distance. See more details under the “Antique Shopping” section.
- Outlet shopping is available in Lee, MA, on Rt. 20, about 1/2 mile east of the Mass Turnpike entrance.
- The local villages, especially Lenox and Great Barrington, all have a delightful assortment of small shops offering unique gift and clothing choices.
Stockbridge Sportsman’s Club (a 15-minute drive from Blantyre) offers lessons for individuals or small groups. Advance reservations only. Accepts cash or check payment only.
Theater & Dance
Performances are mostly (but not exclusively) during the summer months. Do check the web sites below or contact Blantyre for more information.
- Berkshire Theatre Festival is the third oldest theater in the nation and has been active for more than seventy years. The theatre is located in Stockbridge.
- Shakespeare and Company presents indoor and outdoor productions of Shakespearean plays from May to October. The company has a new permanent home on Kemble Street in Lenox.
- Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival hosts dance groups from all over the world.
- Williamstown Theatre Festival is one of America’s preeminent theatres.
- Barrington Stage Company is a local summer stock theater located in Pittsfield.
The weather in our area can change rapidly. Before your visit do check the local weather and plan accordingly.